"STORM CLOUDS COMING"

This painting was done one winter night when it was approximately 22 degrees outside. Several artist friends and I were in the North Georgia Mountains near Ellijay when I looked outside and saw there was a brilliant full moon illuminating flying clouds. I grabbed a piece of black sanded pastel paper, my easel, and my pastels and went outside to try to capture what I was seeing and feeling. Fortunately, my palette is arranged by lights, mediums, and darks because that's all I could see. The clouds were flying and I sometimes had to wait for the moon to reappear. After twenty minutes or so, when my fingers were beginning to get too numb to hold the pastel sticks, I went back inside to see what I had accomplished. The result is this painting. I didn't change a thing. I love to paint the dark.